Guam, Part 2


Hagatna, formerly known as Agana, is the capital of Guam.  There are numerous historic sites within easy walking distance.
There are many Japanese caves along the edge of the hills.  These in Latte Stone Park were adapted as civil defense shelters.
Latte Stone Park.  Latte stones originally located in Mepo have been moved and reconstructed in this scenic park.  

Fort Santa Agueda in Agana Heights.  The remains of this old Spanish fort offer a great view of Hagata and the surrounding area.

Cathedral Basilica.  There has been a Catholic church on this same site since 1669.
Cathedral interiorStatue of Pope John Paul II.  Built on the spot where he celebrated Mass when he visited Guam in 1981, the statue stands on a divider in the middle of a street.

Plaza de Espana

Government house for the Spanish, US, and Japanese administrations, the main building was destroyed during the invasion in 1944.

Pre-war.


San Antonio Bridge.  This Spanish era bridge used to span the Agana River.  The river was rerouted when the rubble of Agana was bulldozed into the ocean after the invasion.  The statue is Sirena, from a local legend about a girl who was turned into a mermaid.

Pre-war homes.  Only a few buildings in Agana survived the devastating naval bombardment.  The Leon Guerrero home, on the left, is still used and in good condition.  Across the street, the Lujan home, right, is empty and dilapidated.  It was rebuilt in 1980, but the climate and lack of maintenance have taken their toll. 
Return to Micronesia 2005 Homepage